Afghan Memorial
Afghan Church is situated at the southern end of the Colaba Island. The Directors of East India Company converted this part of the island into a military cantonment area with army barracks during early nineteenth century. It was built to commemorate those who died during the first Afghan War. Few years later, the land for the building

of the church was provided by the government on a condition that its steeple could be seen as a landmark at sea to guide ships navigating the Bombay Harbour. The designs were prepared by Henry Coney Beare, the City Engineer, and construction began in 1847. The church was consecrated in 1858 and the elegant steeple completed in 1865. Mr. Henry Coney Beare was the same person who laid down the great scheme for the construction of the Vihar Lake and distribution of water supply by iron pipes to nearly all parts of Bombay City.
The Afghan Memorial Church of St. John the Baptist, also known as St John's Church is located at Colaba, Mumbai. It was established in 1847 AD and consecrated 11 years later as a memorial to those who fell in the First Afghan War of 1843 and Sind campaign of 1838. The roof of the Afghan Memorial Church is built of varnished teakwood with hammer beam style ribbing, while the flooring is done with chancel made of encaustic tiles in-laid with coloured clay imported from England.

Maharashtra Religious Place
Afghan Memorial
Ambadevi Temple
Ambarnath Akoli
Anwa Temple
Ayappa temple
Bahubali Hill Temples
Balaji Temple Nerul
Ballaleshwar Temple
Bibi ka Maqbara
Chakreshwar Temple
Chinchwad Ganesh Temple
Ganapati Tample
Dattatreya Temple
Kailash Temple
Mount Mary Church
Mumbadevi Temple
Nageshwar Tample
Osho Ashram
Pandharpur
Shirdi
Sidhi Vinayak Tample
Shri Hazur Sahib
Saptama